PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infinte Type Rated Pilots it seems!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2011, 13:09
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffin Corner,

I don't think the context is too far out of phase between Low Level NOE flying and high level FL transit flying. The ability to hear/feel/sense a failure at low level is inherent in the type of flying involved. The requirement to react quickly, calmly and appropriately whilst involving the other pilot, if there, is taught and nurtured throughout the flying training in the military and pilots are selected specifically for that ability to operate in such a harsh environment.

Low level NVG NOE flying is probably some of the most difficult and dangerous out there (aside from landing, at night, darkened ops onto ships!). The requirement to deal with any malfunction quickly and logically is heightened by the proximity to the ground! That said there are very few things in a helo that will kill you instantly, pretty much like an airliner. Add to that mix that 3000-4000 hours helicopter will take you 10-15 years at the current military flying rate. Thus the external experience gathering for things outside of direct flying is far greater as Standards flights within the military include far more than that required for an LPC/OPC.

The skills honed in a short time in such an environment can be invaluable combined with other experience in the cockpit of an airliner. Trust me I know! The caveat to the above is that some people find it difficult to transition a low level, one man band skill set into the airline CRM environment. Most however don't have a problem.

Given such a scenario I, personally, would take a 3000 hour Helo pilot new to the airline game over a 3000 Cadet who has never experienced malfunctions outside of the simulator.