PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Become a Pilot (BA Sponsership)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 02:58
Monkey See Monkey Do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Richard,
Okay, lots of questions there but I'll try with what I know.
I took Physics, Maths and English at A-Level. You've got a good selection there, and it will help when you apply for uni (as long as you get good marks!) and when you apply to BA. Maths is important, because it will help.

You should maybe choose a degree that you know you could be good at, because BA will not look kindly on a 2:2 and may not even select you for anything with a 3rd. As long as you enjoy the course, you should do fine, and I don't think BA will mark you down for choosing a course other than Aeronautical Engineering. I did a BSc in Physics.

About the age thing. I don't think the maximum is 21, as I know people who wanted to apply at 26, 27. But all sponsorship, as you may know, is currently on hold. No one is going through the mill of selection, so we will all have to wait for a few years (or months v v v optimistically ).

I have heard flying hours will improve your chances (although not too many hours) which shows your commitment to your chosen career. Although at £110 pound an hour its not cheap. I got my Private Pilots Licence when I was 20 last year after 3 years of training, and I now have over 70 hours.

At university, I joined the University Air Squadron. This was the *best* time of my whole life. I miss it terribly now, and I dream about it every night..
Anyway, this involved experiencing the lifestyle of the Air Force as an Officer Cadet (lowest officer rank - but not exactly being an officer)

So in effect a recruit is not in the RAF as a committed member, but you get signed up as a Volunteer Reserve. Which is fine.
You get to wear cool flying clothes, and you get a nice RAF helmet with a Fast Jet stylee black visor .

But, the Air Squadron is a heck of a committment. It takes a lot out of you, and in my first year I didn't even know my flatmates at uni. I lived my whole life at the RAF base. During your years at uni, you get to do as many flying hours as you can muster (its very hard work).

So, I hope that helps a bit. At the mo, my main advice is to choose a good uni and a fun course, and sit these times out.

MSMD
P.S.
I also used to earn 150pound a month, and I got my licence doing 1 hour a month..

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: MonkeySee MonkeyDo ]