PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 11:26
exfi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i should have added that there are lots of bits of the tests and in some parts women do better than men & in some the men score best - probably as you say DBC, women do better at those with multi-taskin etc

its the final overall score made up of the tests where women often fail. i dont know but i imagine that lots of time and money has been spent validating the tests as scroggs said they've been going a long time

so even if there were equal numbers of men and women starting out (which i doubt there are) there would be much fewer women getting as far as a commercial school either being put off by aptitude testing or because they find it tough and dont enjoy flying. from that there would be an apparant male dominence and lack of female role models, making it less likely that so many women would be attracted - a vicious circle. i dont know but it seems a plausable reason for the lack of women in the profession.

the trouble is that all the successful women will not identify with these problems and will dismiss this argument as it does not reflect their own experience.