PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's REX going to do?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2011, 17:26
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
HOWEVER, no change is required to simply ICUS up the cadets and then give a command.
Should read, "no regulatory change", as the regulations currently allow for Rex (for that matter any type of operation) to carry out ICUS with co-pilots with command endorsements.

Originally Posted by mcgrath50
Doesn't QF have an exemption in regards to ICUS and FOs?
No, none is required.

Originally Posted by das Uber Soldat
I'm seeing a lot of talk here about icus but not a lot of understanding Rex are unable to conduct ICUS of it's FO's in the right seat. This may change when casa decides to grant them an exception.
No exemption is required.

ICUS can be conducted in private, aerial work, charter, high capacity RPT, and in other than high capacity RPT operations as long it is approved by the operator. Read the CARs, pilots logging ICUS need to be approved by the operator, not by CASA.

Originally Posted by neville_nobody
QF don't have a 500 ME command Requirement due to High Capacity RPT.
CAO 82.3 does not say a pilot in command of an RPT operation with a MTOW >5700kg in other than high capacity operations needs to have 500 ME command.

If we look at the actual wording ....

"2 000 hours total experience as a pilot, that includes: Command (multi-engine aeroplane) instrument rating 500 hours as pilot in command (or acting as pilot in command under supervision) on multi-engine aeroplanes under the I.F.R.; and 50 hours as pilot in command (or acting as pilot in command under supervision) on the aeroplane type; and 100 hours experience as a pilot on night operations."

Now Rex in their OPS manual may impose more restrictive requirements, that is their business, it would more likely linked to their insurance policy.

Note also all the command hours needed for an ATPL in excess of the command hours required for the issue of a CPL, can also be gained via ICUS.

Originally Posted by Fonz121
Qantas can because they're operate under a high capacity AOC. And I believe Skippers get their cadets hours under charter category and not RPT.
The type of AOC or category filed on a flight plan is irrelevant condition for logging ICUS. ICUS can be logged in any type of operation if you meet the requirements set out in the CARs.

Originally Posted by F111
I worked for a Regional Airline 6 years ago, operating Turboprops and we were working on an ICUS for the FOs with the full support of CASA. I think Macair may have also had an ICUS program.
Yes many operators in Australia have their pilot legally logging ICUS in the RH seat, even in aircraft above 5700 kg, in other than high capacity RPT operations.