PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crisis
Thread: Crisis
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2001, 01:47
clear prop!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Now Gill is another story all together, so lets not roll that piece of bad news into what is undoubtedly a very bad time for transatlantic aviation.

Gill, ‘apparently’, was an undercapitalised airline with unpopular, unprofitable routes.

The company had already been in administration last year and had failed to impress the Banks that it could make a go of things. Any company in any industry would be in the situation that Gill are now. The above is written with no disrespect to those who have suffered the effects of the Gill collapse.

As I see things, perhaps it’s not as bad as is being made out for wannabees.

Domestic and short haul routes 'should' be relatively unaffected. Indeed the budget operators are continuing to add routes and passengers… as we speak. Anyone who has made it to the long haul flight deck is way out of the salary scales on offer in the TP and budget market.

BA’s problem is that it has 38% of it’s market in transatlantic routes and the rest targeted to the business user. I mean, £300 to fly from London to Scotland has got to be under the microscope of any business user when a recession is round the corner! No wonder they have problems!

Maybe one argument could be that the regionals and budget operators (the first step on the ladder for most of us), will continue flourish and the market for low salaried FO’s will remain buoyant?…Just a thought.

And WWW, I hate to say it, but you are beginning to sound like the Grim Reaper.

You are right, it’s perhaps not the time to dive into £50k’s worth of training, but it’s also not the time for those in the system or through it to slit their wrists! ...yet