PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 08:14
Final 3 Greens

Thumpango

In calm air I use 65kias/full flap short final on a PA28-181 (Archer) at gross - the "book" says 63, but the ASI ain't calibrated that finely! Gusting day or tricky x-wind I'll add 5kias, but no more.

The "warrior" wing is relatively efficient and will trade energy (i.e. airspeed) into distance, thus floating halfway down the runway.

Also, you are in ground effect from about 15 feet up (half the wingspan which is 35ft on a Warrior), so this aids and abets the floating.

Are you using full flap or flap 25 for landing? My flight school used 25 as standard doctrine, but I have always found full flaps to make for easier landings - less float, less apparent flare required due to the pitch down effect of full flaps and more drag ... although PA28 flaps are not as effective as say Cessna 15x/17x in this respect.

When I was s student going through the same feeligns that you are now, an experienced pilot told me to try not to land, i.e. keep the aeroplane flying in the flare as long as poss - this always helped me.

Obviously you need to be at the right height above the runway - 2-3 feet and then the a/c will gently sink on when ready.

Also, don't forget to transfer your focus to the end of the runway no later than just before crossing the threshold.

As other posters have said, just keep going everythign will be fine.

There used to be a lovely sign in a flying club ...... Learn to fly £100, learn to land £3500!