PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 07:37
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of figures have been thrown out for approach speed in a Warrior. I think they are still too high, though if that's what you want to do then go for it.

In the perfect warrior landing, you stall a few inches above the ground. Therefore, the speed you should be crossing the threshold is a factor of stall speed in the configuration you are in. So a flapless landing is going to be faster than a full flap landing. Likewise, if you are heavy you will need to be faster over the threshold than if you are light.

You can calculate the speed when crossing the threshold using a simple rule, I use 1.3 times stall speed in that configuration. So find out Vs1 and Vs0, and work it out yourself. Comes in a lot less than even 70 knots.

Fix your fast approach, you will find it so much easier to fix your float.

thumpango

Here you go, this explains it far better than I ever could.

Landing

Landing a plane is one of the few (IMO) totally unintuitive things in flying you have to master. You need to get the physics right first, then practice repeatedly until you get your sight picture worked out. It will come - but really make sure you nail your approach speed.