PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 14th Jan 2011, 11:01
Chigley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mildly Militant

You mention events from 1997/2001 and 2008/9 where CC made changes "without BASSA's Interference". Well for starters in 1997 BASSA called a 3 day strike and cost the company the tune of £120 million! CC89 my union of choice at the time negotiated the current long day payments, box payments ETP triggers after longer duties etc. After causing the distress to our customers and it's members BASSA backed down to these requests from the company and once a settlement was agreed, staff travel was reinstated in full. Oh yes, and the salary band for the post '97 starters was up to £18K and in recent times has been increased by a further £4k (albeit non pensionable) as a good will gesture by BA in 2007, when we had the strike called off at the 11th hour.

In 2001, along with unpaid leave many crew grabbed the opportunity to take p/t or even take unpaid leave for up to 18 months. As did ALL other areas of BA under the business response scheme. As well as this other departments were restructured and many had to reapply for their jobs.

In 2008/9 CC did take VR as did other departments, again these departments made significant cost savings which included a complete restructure and loss of headcount which resulted in people moving into jobs they would not normally choose to undertake.

It's nice to see a new poster on here, and whilst I clearly have a different take on the events you mention. One thing I will agree on is that BASSA are not solely to blame for the mess we find ourselves in.