PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where will be?
Thread: Where will be?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 22:29
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put it another way, how many of you would still commend someone like me to get started flying in the UK, assuming I have a reasonable tolerance of a few formalities, exams, checks and fuel increases?
CharlieDeltaUk

No go for it!!! I tend to go with what 10540 says. All I would add is that as soon as you get your PPL look at adding the IMCR rating.

It is a very useful rating to have. Problem is EASA are getting rid of the IMCR but have added that within the UK they dont mind Grandfather riting the privalages to be maintained by existing IMCR holders.

IE after 2012 you will no longer be able to get an IMCR in the UK but if you hold one before 2012 you can carry on enjoying its privalages.

Europe has never been GA friendly.I can remember flying in a commercial jet over Italy and being told that i could not take pictures out of the window over Italian airspace. The reason given was that the Italians did not want spies in the sky seeing their secret instalations of god knows what? Travel around Europe and GA was almost non existant or regarded as a rich mans toy! Europeans are of the mindset that aviation belongs to people carriers under state control.

As 10540 stated as long as you are a leisure VFR pilot keeping well clear of the beloved airways you will be fine but if you want to fly IFR airways in GA you will be a person non gratis and either banned or priced out of the airways.

So sorry for the negativity Go for it but do add the IMCR rating before 2012 as you wont get it after 2012 because it wont exist in EASA land.

We were cheated out of the IMCR over tea and biscuits and empty promises.
We will be cheated out of a PPL IR and we will be cheated out of N Reg by EASA.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 13th Jan 2011 at 22:40.