PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 13th Jan 2011, 22:27
Missyminx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betty Girl,

I know it is stressful at the moment but it is important to keep grounded (so to speak!). I too am cabin crew and, I too left the union in disagreement of all that was proposed. At the time, the BA team were looking for ways to recognise those crew who had taken the hard, but morally correct action (in this particular instance), of crossing the picket line and coming into work. Now, prior to so doing, we all had to make a serious choice – to stay in the union or to resign? It was a bit of a dilemma for me initially, as I felt why should I resign from the union, when I was simply disagreeing with the way they were handling a particular issue? However, after much thought and discussion, I concluded that resignation was the only route possible – as I KNEW I would be coming to work. The reason that was the only route possible was that – as part of a democratic voting process, if the majority had voted ‘yes’ and I was a ‘no’ - then I would have been duty bound to follow the majority vote and strike – therefore there was no option but to resign.
Presumably, the people whom you very kindly feel sorry for, who are still in the union would have had to have done some pretty stiff soul-searching and would have been faced with the same difficult decision? HOWEVER, (and in that word it all lies, IMHO) their decision was to stay; having had all the ‘facts’, all the behaviour, all the dramas , all the rhetoric etc, etc, etc. So whilst I take on board that indeed there was an agreed procedure and in an ideal world this should be adhered to, sadly thanks to union antics, all bets are off. I have to say I cannot wholeheartedly disagree with BA choosing to recognise those who were prepared to stand up and be counted, incidentally not to ‘keep in with the company’ but out of moral obligation and personal accountability. I say all this without any knowledge whatsoever as to whether there HAS been any preferential treatment (indeed, my number on the list has not moved for over a year!); if, in fact, there has been, then whilst I am a strong protagonist of fair play (who isn’t?!) then, as I say, I can see where BA are coming from. I cannot see, despite pleas of ‘”we are staying in the union to vote ‘no’ “ where this school of thought is coming from? Unfortunately, It seems to have had no bearing thus far. I hope to be proved wrong!