PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crisis
Thread: Crisis
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2001, 22:04
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
Unhappy Crisis

As close followers of this forum will have noted I have been becoming ever moe hawkish this last week on the issue of employment prospects for Wannabes.

I have to tell you all know that my more negative expectations are being met.

No airline has yet failed but with Virgin laying off well over 100 pilots that become somewhat academic. Inside BA people are talking of Pilots being layed off as the Classic fleet is phased out alongside the Heathrow 737's being grounded. IF this happens you could be looking at 400 pilots being surplus to requirements.

That and Virgin would satisfy all pilot recruitment needs from other UK airlines for at least 18 months.

Folks, its going to hell in a handcart at the moment. You never see a crisis until it is past you and it was the same in the early 90's with the Gulf War when everyone kept saying things wouldn't be too bad right up until the collapse of some very well known airlines...

Perhaps in a months time things will have settled down. Perhaps in a months time the West will be in all out war with half the Muslim nations.

I cannot in all good faith advise anybody to start ruinously expensive flight training at this time.

I really really hope things do not get as bad as I fear they might. For my own job as well as yours.

:-(