PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and goes during solo flight (student pilot in USA)
Old 13th Jan 2011, 00:54
FlyingKiwi_73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh Eyes

Having recently got my license in a shortish time my solo is still fairly fresh in my mind. I did a single circuit and full stop as is the norm here downunder, i was taught T&G's and go'rounds before solo (although due to my late arriving class1 medical my solo was a little 'overcooked').

What they DID NOT teach me enough of was abandoning a takeoff which was far more frightening than i realised having had to do one for real.
I agree with Pace you should teach the student EVERYTHING they may face when doing a circuit including abandoning and rejoining the ciruit and abandoning take offs.

Of course i should have abadoned the circuit and rejoined.

I found my Instructors were excellent and did show me some excellent 'real life' flying tips rather than teaching me 'how to drive' and I really enjoyed mastering the more funky things like wing drop stalls and unsual atttudes. Depending on which instructer i flew with determined how 'unusual' the attitude was.

We also have a new part to the sylabus which is terrain awareness this was excellent. Being able to pick a tight valley and figuring out whether you can execute a 180 safely. Kills alot of people in NZ and is a valuable addition to the training, lot of fun too!

Last edited by FlyingKiwi_73; 13th Jan 2011 at 00:56. Reason: missed abit and spelling