PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 12th Jan 2011, 09:30
TorC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Betty girl
I also flew with a non-striker who has remained in the union and he was waiting for part time. So he has been left out too because he IS in a union and that does not seem fair.
Unfair it maybe, but to me it's perfectly understandable that BA now chooses to favour, in a small way, those who have demonstrated their understanding and loyalty. Do keep in mind that BA just seems to be re-jigging the order in which offers are made. They have not indicated that union members will not get offers at all.

It is not only about not having gone on strike. Those that didn't, but who remain in the union seem to do so with the reasoning that they'll vote "no" again. But is that enough? Should they be doing more? Just passively sitting there, supporting the union via monthly subs and thereby allowing them to continue their madness is, I'm sorry to say, a rather weak and pathetic position at this late stage.

We all know the answer to this, but why are these people seemingly not pushing their union to take another stance, change their tactics and actually, God forbid, LISTEN to their members? Those that still can't/won't see that this union just simply has no interest in those that don't want to strike, are seriously letting themselves down now, and are playing a very large part in allowing this dispute to trundle along unchecked.

It comes down now to having to make a serious and final choice. People either support the union, or they support their employer. Not an ideal situation I know, and not one I'd want to be generally acceptable in the real world. But in this particular case, which has become more surreal than any other industrial dispute I can think of, it really is time for people to plant their flag firmly in one camp, or the other, and to deal with the consequences either way.

To anyone still in the union - PLEASE use your vote - and PLEASE, if you vote "yes" then follow-through on it. Do not muddly the waters by saying one thing, but doing another. If you vote "no" or do not intend to vote, you have to ask yourselves very very seriously, why you remain a member.