PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Control Input whilst landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2011, 05:01
John Citizen

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Dual Control Input whilst landing

I have noticed that some captains like to keep their hand and feet on the contols whilst I am landing, and some occasionally even make a "dual input" (airbus).

I have several years on the type and my landings on average are just as good/bad as anyone else's.

However some captains don't seem to have confidence in their FO's whilst others are control freaks who like to be in complete control all the time, even when not their sector.

I get annoyed at this as :
- its an insult to my flying ability (to be able to fly myself, I am not at the pre-solo stage, I do have a licence)
- it distracts me as I am trying to land as well as trying to work out what the other pilot is doing with controls/about to do
- intereferes with my flying
- puts me off

As far as I am aware, dual input is not encouraged in the Airbus however some captains are aware that they can make very small inputs without the "dual input" audio (synthetic voice) activating. However I still see the "green arrow" (sidestick priority ligh) illuminate momentarliy up in front of me.

Twice recently the captain interfered with my landing, with the dual input resulting in a less than ideal landing. It was still ok, but it would have worked out just fine if the other pilot did not do anything.

Now should I :
- make a comment to the captain
- speak to management
- make a safety report to management
or
- do nothing and just put up with it