PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's REX going to do?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2011, 04:12
neville_nobody

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
I agree with oracle. HOWEVER, no change is required to simply ICUS up the cadets and then give a command. How does Qantas do it with their cadets. Bugger all command time then second officer, first officer then bingo COMMAND. It already happens, Skippers do it in the west.
QF don't have a 500 ME command Requirement due to High Capacity RPT. You also filter through the CASA approved training system.

To ICUS up cadets you would have to make 3/4 of your captains training captains and have them fly in the RHS while cadet is in the LHS seat acting as Captain (Yes I know there is no requirement to be in the LHS to log ICUS but it would make practical sense)

REX would then have to pay all these Captains training captain wages.

Skippers can back door it a bit by putting guys on charter flights and keep them off the RPT services.

After what has happened in the US it would be a very very brave soul who signs off on such a dispensation for Rex. The legal ramifications for CASA of a 1500 hour captain buying the farm with a 250 hour FO doesn't bear thinking about when the agencies in the USA are recommending increasing the minimum experience levels.

Don't forget this ain't Europe and Rex are flying in uncontrolled airspace, mostly with non precision approaches in ice/rain/snow/sleet/duststorms/thunderstorms etc

Something has to be done but lowering the experience levels isn't an option.

My suggesting would be to offer guys guaranteed career progression as being the only way REX will keep anyone.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 11th Jan 2011 at 09:16.