PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATC worst in Europe ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2002, 07:19
salzkorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crj-jockey
I agree with you : I'm in favor of a single language radiotelephony, be it English, French, German, Chinese or Swahili. Sometimes I see me walking in non French speaking pilots' shoes and I think : "wow, how stressing not to understand everything."
OK. I just can't do it alone in my corner.....
But what got on my nerves when I wrote my message was that way that some have to say : "hey, British controllers are the best in the world, and at least they speak English, THEM !!!"
I would be curious to know how well it would be, if radiotelecommunications were to be conducted in Chinese or Russian....
I don't know anything of German control, but I would say that German pilots at least speak English THEM. That way it's ok, because it's not their mother tongue...

As far as capabilities of controllers are concerned : nobody seems to express any doubts about the one of British Controllers. I wouldn't either. But please try to be a bit more open minded, and don't doubt the one of LFPG ontrollers (I talk about what I know). We have many constraints, we have a restricted airspace, we have Le Bourget very close (although North departures are not really concerned), we suffer from undermanning too, maybe bosses are not as good as they could be (don't want to expand on that.....) etc etc.... You don't know all those pbs, the only thing you know is the result of those constraints, which are not always the more suitable for you....
If I were to judge British ATC by what I read of its results, I would say it is quite poor.; whereas all of you seem to say controllers are quite good. It's just also the case in some other places..... stop looking down at your belling button for a while.

As for the English level of some of us..... I agree that sometimes, work still have to be done.... It scratches my ears when I hear some of my colleagues say "contact Departüüüre on ...."
ouch....

crj-jockey, for the nick, you're welcome
Ich wünche, dass ich bald auf der Funk in CDG mit Dir sprechen werde "