PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTAF in the UK
Thread: CTAF in the UK
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 16:32
bad bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll just say that if it did, then the crews of the aircraft were monstrously irresponsible..
HEATHROW DIRECTOR, I'm not sure I fully agree with you on that one. If a pilot is looking at a long and vacant runway when an ATC tower is evacuated and chooses to land rather than Go-Around on a relatively low fuel load and join a very long queue of plane diverting to already busy aerodromes in the south east. I would support his decision. There are days when the "books" have to be thrown away.

055166k, fully agree.

Now , I don't think anyone is really talking about DIY ATC in busy class "A" nor even Farnborough but I would suggest that a law change to allow CTAF in some situations would be a good thing. Good debate though hope it continues. Its beginning to look to me that places without radar or when radar it not available , particularly in Northern England or Scotland would be ideal candidates for removing the financial burden of always having to have ATC tower for public transport planes.

How much is spent on providing ATC at Dundee and could that cost be reduced by using CTAF?
bb