PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 10th Jan 2011, 10:17
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Survey

I think it is a very poor scientific methodology to extrapolate a conclusion from such a poor return to a survey. Particularly on such an emotional subject.

To claim that
The main findings of the survey show:
• Almost one in every two workers at British Airways has been bullied
• More than 72 per cent of staff had either been bullied or witnessed bullying at work
and
Almost three quarters of people (72.4 per cent) had either been bullied or witnessed bullying at work, and almost one in two of workers (49.9 per cent) had been the subject of bullying themselves.
is laughable.
Surely if you had been bullied or witnessed bullying you would feel strongly enough about it to spend 5 minutes filling in a survey. The real figures are probably much closer to the number of actual respondants. ie
a) been bullied- 49.9% of 1905 = 951 which is only 8.6% of those surveyed
b) witnessed bullying- 42.5% of 1905 = 810 which is only 7.3% of those surveyed

It is also worth noting some of the ways people felt they were bullied i.e. unfair criticism(the unwanted truth perhaps), excessive momitoring (or any monitoring), malicious lies (more unwanted truths), witholding information, blocking promotion (promote everyone, CEO for everybody), overruling decisions(maybe they were bad decisions), removing responsibilities (I thought BASSA didn't want responsibilities, hot towels anyone), unrealistic targets and refusing leave (wouldn't we all want time off when we want it, X-mas off everyone)

The survey apparently covered all BA sites but only 27 replies were returned from sites other than Heathrow ( 1.4% of the 1905 replies). Not very representative!

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Regards