PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and goes during solo flight (student pilot in USA)
Old 10th Jan 2011, 05:12
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better watch out that this doesnt happen to you guppy:
Hence the reason for providing proper instruction in the first place.

it is strongly discouraged to do touch and goes in any retractable gear aircraft, especially Bonanzas and Barons.
Strongly discouraged by whom?

I strongly encourage it.

It's training, after all. Teach a student to recognize the control, identify it, verify it, then move it.

Fast hands kill. Teach students to slow down.

I once had a student in a Cessna 210 who refused to raise the gear in the traffic pattern. He didn't want to do touch and go landings, either. His reasoning on the gear was that if he didn't raise it, it wouldn't fail.

I explained to him that I wanted to see him move that gear handle every time he took off, and move it every time he landed. Get in the habit of not moving that gear handle means getting in the habit of forgetting the gear.

To suggest that one should never perform touch and go landings during training is to suggest the need to go around will never occur during a landing. If you can assure that the student will never need to take it around during a bad landing, if you can assure that the student may never need to use that skill, then by all means, fail to provide the proper training that may one day save your student and passengers.

It's unprofessional and bad form, but if you can justify it, then have a ball.