PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Air Ambulance pilot - am I dreaming?
Old 8th Jan 2011, 22:45
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hands on123
I think being an instructor or a photo/survey pilot can be just as rewarding, but no-one ever seems to want to do that as their ambition.
I do, I do, I do .... got me CPL, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

OK, I've never been an AA pilot, but here are my reasons/perceptions for it not being top of my list of pilot careers. No doubt here some can put me straight.

Imagine a nasty RTA on a Dual Carriageway ... a family. Husband driving and fatally injured, wife critical, teenage children in the back relatively unscathed physically and distraught. Who is there to talk to them, comfort them? Who is there to decide whether to answer the ringing mobile phone? Who is there to pick up the personal belongings; the CDs, the shopping, the clothing .... ? And who cleans out the helicopter on return to base?

I can't begin to imagine some of the traumas that AA pilots must witness and deal with. Not sure I am made of such stern stuff to be able to switch off when I get home. Even Richard Hammond couldn't tempt me. And I do know of one AA pilot who had a nervous breakdown because of everything he'd seen and witnessed.

Nah .. give me a pipeline survery - 50/50 flying or a student trying to kill me any day

Cheers

Whirls