PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 18:22
ATNotts

Received 318 Likes on 185 Posts
BHX-BER

GayFriendly:

Berlin is a difficult one, although it's the political capital, most business is done in the Ruhr, Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich so a sustainable daily service might be difficult to justify, especially when there's already a cheap and (not very) cheerful option down the road at EMA.

If I was looking to get from BHX to BER I'd fly to FRA and take the ICE train - I'd wager that was as quick as using the UK road network to another airport, to fly to a Berlin airport, then take the DB or S Bahn to destination.

As regards inbound tourism, four mop-heads who started their careers at the Cavern make Liverpool a more viable inbound tourism destination than BHX!! As for LPL and BRS, are they (the airports) actually making money from these cheap airlines, or just enjoying the kudos of people going through their terminals in large numbers? Before anyone mentions Shakespeare and Straford as being reasons to fly to BHX, would you go to a German city to visit Goethe's, Albrecht Durer's birthplace - I think not. To European tourists Shakespeare means little.