PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and goes during solo flight (student pilot in USA)
Old 8th Jan 2011, 16:06
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can foresee circumstances where student pilots may have never done T&Gs before solo.
CowsGettingBigger

Sorry but am I misreading something in the above statement? Hopefully a student on first solo wont be faced with a touch and go but he may be and that is my problem.

The poor sod lands long! not enough room to stop! Goes off the end of the runway braking hard on his first solo because no one taught him how to touch and go in a landing flap config????

I am not an instructor just a mere ATP and am not even up to speed on the latest PPL training criteria so can only really go on bits that I pick up.

One is that there has been a move away from conventional training and more towards avoidance and most recoveries being made at the incipient stage?
I do renew a multi engine and have used two old brigade examiners jaa and faa who like full blooded stalls even in a twin.

If I am wrong in my assumptions then please accept my apologies.

I still hold fast as an experienced pilot that NO student PPL should be sent solo without dual instruction on anything he may encounter on his first solo.
Otherwise instructors are playing Russian Roulette with their students.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 8th Jan 2011 at 16:20.