PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and goes during solo flight (student pilot in USA)
Old 8th Jan 2011, 11:04
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally speaking when sending someone for their FIRST solo we try to make sure they are fully prepared but also make the experience as stress free as possible. Think back to your own first solos, your hearts were beating you were excited.

Doing full stops on the first solo is a good philosophy and one that I still prescribe to. It gives you the opportunity to double check that the aircraft is in the right configuration and everything is prepared.

On subsequent solos I then used to increase the skills that were included.

Would I send someone solo who could not do a touch and go? No of course I would not. But that does not mean that they have to do them.

Flight training is about progression, not getting everything perfect on day one. Can I respectfully suggest that those who have no experience of flight training refrain from espousing opinion as if it is fact.

There are a lot of reasons that we do things in certain ways when teaching. It has worked just fine for many decades.