PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Least Foolish of a Foolish Decision
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 08:22
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Least Foolish of a Foolish Decision

Right I know I am going to get flamed by some for this; but I want to keep this a rational discussion with reasoned arguments only.

Now back in mid 2008, I was laid off from my turboprop job, which I gained as a result contacts made through a season of instructing; so I fully appreciate that jobs can be gained through networking and slugging it out in GA.

However after going back to contracting in my previous field and gaining the other commitments of life, there is no way I could afford to instruct on a full time basis again; thought about doing the MEI and IR restriction removal upgrades, but that would still cost 10K, plus I dont think I would have the enthusiasm to be a ME/IR instructor (as with all instructing to do the job well is extremely hard work and difficult).

Although I did revalidate my FI rating, I have yet to gain any part time instructors work, so without any current flying or involvement in the industry I wouldn't expect my CV to get noticed now.

Even if I was lucky enought to be offered another turboprop job, I doubt I would accept, due to the fact that most have such low salaries, with long and high bond lengths. In other words, I would much rather self fund a common type, than be bonded on a low salary on a rare type (as per my previous tp job).

Nowin six months I will be in a position to self fund a rating, so I was giving consideration to the ATR rating; the reason is, it is the most common turboprop in the world, and everyone I have met that has done this rating in the past has sooner or later gained employment. Also as I have a small amount of heavy tp time, it does compliment my previous experience.

The drawback is of course been a turboprop the starting salaries can be quite low (also there are some ATR operators that pay well), alot of the jobs are likely to be in Africa or Asia rather than Europe. But if you have paid for the rating there is still the freedom to move on if something better comes up, or if the finances get strained the option to go back to my previous contract work.

However, if I waited 12months I could probably afford to do a 737 rating with 300 hours on type, or even waited 18 months 737 rating with 500 on type. Now while I agree there is a moral issue with paying to fly, when you consider the figures it makes economic sense, the pay cut I would take to join a tp operator (like Eastern) in the space of twelve months is the same price as a 737 rating + line training package.

While I don't know the employment figures for the 300 hours schemes, some recent research has shown that one of the 500 hour schemes is currently gaining close to a 100% employment rate.

Now in the last five years I have scuppered my flying career due to making the wrong decision on three occasions, I can't complain as I have had my fair share of opportunities. So now I have a fourth decision to make it would be useful to get some rational input.

So in summary

ATR rating in six month time or wait 12 months and do a 737 rating with a line training package.

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 11th Jan 2011 at 21:55.