PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infinte Type Rated Pilots it seems!!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 00:28
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think these past few posts have all been in line with my way of thinking.To quote John and Martha King, who I know are quoting someone else, I just don't know who, experience comes from making bad decisions.I don't necessarily agree that all experience comes from making bad decisions, but I do believe that experience comes from, well, experience, not from doing X hours.However someone who has low hours is less likely to have experienced as many situations that require decisions beyond, "What's the next frequency?"So, over time a person can accumulate significant experience, both flying and life, without having achieved as many hours as someone else with the same experiences, just because they've encountered different circumstances.Someone who flies in the Pacific Northwest, for example, is more likely to have real actual IFR time than someone who flies in Southern California. And flying in the real thing is definitely not the same thing as flying in sumulated IFR. So, someone with, say 50 hours of actual IFR might be considered more experienced than someone with 200 hours simulated, but no actual, or with 200 hours where it's only flying through very thin layers, and logging point 1 IFR per flight.And that's why I've been trying to point out that we should be looking at more than how many hours, especially when it's less than about 10,000. Because at about 10,000 hours, you're looking at someone who most likely has 10 years experience, plus a few years training. Whereas someone with only 2500 hours, has not really finished "training" yet. So it's important to look at the quality of hours for lower times.