PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Air Ambulance pilot - am I dreaming?
Old 6th Jan 2011, 07:37
floatsarmed

Air Ambo Pilot?

Mate,

The question that you should be asking yourself, and be brutally honest, is, why do you want to become an Air Ambo Pilot?

In the UK you are never going to be able to compete with all of the guys leaving the AAC and RAF with the levels of experience that they possess and the established network that leans toward hiring ex mil guys in the UK. Have a look at the Gloucestershire Air Ambo web site for instance? '22 years AAC, instructor on Apaches' etc. See what I mean?

If you want to become a professional pilot then be aware it is a very hard and long road to get to a point where you will be hired for air ambo / police / offshore. We are talking ten plus years in the industry minimum.

If you REALLY just have to be a pilot then research it hard and then be prepared for the reality of a long hard slog and a high probability of failure.

Otherwise, if you have the cash then just do it for fun as I'm sure it can be just as rewarding being 'just' a pplh as well. Good luck

Last edited by floatsarmed; 10th Jan 2011 at 05:27. Reason: typo