PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Air Ambulance pilot - am I dreaming?
Old 6th Jan 2011, 05:25
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey, reality is reality. Some of you don't like to face it or admit it.

Grumpytroll spews:
(FH1100) ...Wants to be the last living helicopter pilot on the planet, therefore there is no hope of anyone of any age from this day forward ever suceeding in the field.
Negative, ghostrider, I never said that.

Boo Hoo. In ten to fifteen years there will be no helicopters flying anywhere is the sky because it is impossible for anyone to successfully become a helicopter pilot.
Never said that either. (Ever hear of the term "reading comprehension?") My opinion is that at age 37 it will be virtually impossible for a guy to have a career as an EMS pilot. Anyone want to throw around some hiring minimums at the various companies? Anyone want to give this guy a REALISTIC estimate of how long it'll take him to build up enough time to get his first (non-EMS) job, much less the 1500 to 2000 hours of r/w PIC time he'll need to fly EMS? Yeaaaah, I didn't think so. And then we'll have yet another 1500-hour EMS pilot out there? Oh, I'm lovin' this idea! I hope he'll at least be sassy and arrogant!

I hope its not true because after I suffer my first heart attack, I hope a sassy, over confident and arrogant pilot will fly a EMS helo to my front yard and transport me to the hospital where I will be saved and can continue to comment on this site.
If you don't settle down and start being less angry at the world, that first heart attack might come sooner than you think!

Grumpytroll, do you actually believe what you just wrote? Really? Because we seem to have way too many sassy(?), over-confident and arrogant EMS pilots already, thank you very much. We keep reading about them in the accident reports. For my part, I do hope we have FEWER of them. If I ever need the services of an EMS helicopter (which I doubt will ever happen), I hope it's flown by an experienced, seasoned, conservative pilot who's been around the block a couple of times who won't crash, not some sassy Johnny-come-lately who decided late in life that flying an air ambulance would be "cool."

I further hope that the pilot makes 100 grand a year...
Stop right there! Hold on! The OP already told us that he'd work for free. You think ANY helicopter pilot is going to make "100 grand" a year flying EMS as long as there are other pilots with the same attitude? Heh, me neither.

Sassy?