PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay Talks on 13th Dec
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 22:00
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why bother

box

You read them for the same reason as everyone else - it's somewhere you can get things off your chest, have an argument without having a domestic dispute, have a bit of a laugh and, from time to time, read a compelling, incisive, intelligent, well-structured post, not necessarily on industrial matters from our myopic point of view.

It's social networking under a different guise, the twist being that you might be having a serious difference of opinion with one of your best friends without even knowing it.

No-one's going to change the world here and it's highly unlikely that anyone will change another's point of view, although a reasoned argument might make someone take time to reflect on his or her position and make them think why they take that position - is it a firmly held belief or simply going along with the crowd?

That's why you read them.

Not only that, from time to time you get the chance to improve your English. Now, unless you read another forum on this site, your last post really should have said, "I don't know why I even read this forum..." i.e the singular. If you do read elsewhere on the site, some might argue that fora would, strictly speaking, be correct. However, I disagree and think that in modern English, forums is perfectly acceptable, so well done, go to the top of the class.

STP