PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Air Ambulance pilot - am I dreaming?
Old 5th Jan 2011, 19:18
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Let's take it from the top!

1. At 37, am I too old to carve out a career as a commercial helicopter pilot? YES

2. Are there reasonable prospects for employment (either part or full time) if I was to commence and complete a course within the next 18 months? NO

3. The ultimate objective is to become an air ambulance pilot. Would I have cat in hell's chance of achieving this and what would I need to do? NOT EVEN A SNOWBALL'S.

4. Which is the best rotary wing training establishment? THE ONE YOU CHOOSE AND STICK WITH- IT DEPENS MORE ON YOU THAN THEM.

Now, there's always some fool who'll tell you, "Just go for it! Follow your dream!" Unfortunately, this is simply not realistic. Not at 37. See, EMS is not an "entry-level" job in the helicopter world. It's not for beginners or neophytes. You don't necessarily have to be SuperPilot, but EMS is a demanding job that requires a high level of skill and judgment. It will be VERY unlikely that you'll be able to quickly amass the experience (in terms of flight hours)...and more importantly, the seasoning to become an EMS pilot. Then again, you never know. Care to invest 5 - 10 years to see? Yeah, it could take that long to work your way into an EMS position even if you started tomorrow.

And "that long" will involve jobs in which you will be paid very little...surely less than you ever thought possible for a job with such high demands and risks. Uhh, "why?" you ask?
I could conceivably work for free if this would help get me the right experience towards becoming an air ambulance pilot.
There ya go! Yeah, you and a whole bunch of other people too. That attitude is what has kept the compensation for helicopter pilots down FOREVER. And it is that very attitude that will continue to keep pilot pay down in the future. The industry salutes you! Heck, the industry thrives on people like you.