PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial training sponsorship advice.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 11:07
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X13CDX - You've been had! I'll guarantee every other sucker on the assessment was also the only person to meet the college's high and exacting requirements. The Blarney coming from their mouths verges on the criminal. I'd bet if you'd them offered cash, you'd be on a course next week.

Here's the reality. Flying is easy, if a numbskull like me (CSE Grade 1 Maths and GCE Grade B English) can do it, so can anyone. I'd also suggest that the majority of people starting a commercial flying course end with a commercial licence. There are failures, but they are few and far between. Getting a command is slightly more complicated in so much that you have do most of the work yourself and you'll use all of your previous life and flying experience to pass the course.

And here's more reality. Of those who pass the course most will NOT HAVE A JOB! They will also be typically £100,000 in debt. I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but DO NOT risk your family for a (potential) job. To my knowledge there are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people like yourself "qualified" and able to learn to be pilots, but lacking cash/equity. But that's life. If you win Lotto, then go for it.

And here's some bad/good news: There are some guys getting their first jobs now and the lucky ones are starting on salaries like £23-24,000 per annum. And out of that, they having to live (often away from home) AND pay off debts of £100,000. And that leaves how much for your family?

I know this is not what you want to hear, but believe me your family should be your first priority and borrowing money you won't be able to afford to repay and ending up en-employed will not help them one little bit.

PM