PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone actually like Emirates? (Hamster Wheel Thread)
Old 4th Jan 2011, 04:04
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheikmyarse

If i'm being quite honest, No, I don't care about the working conditions of these people. I don't care because I have no control over their working conditions so why should I stress about it. Their lives do not impact on my life or that of my family. They never will, the same way i'll never get an invite to the Royal wedding this year.

I don't like it anymore than you but that's the way things work in this part of the World. You can blame it on the Indian Mafia who lie to the workers, you can blame it on the greedy locally controlled construction Companies, you could blame the ruling family for not enforcing basic safe working practices for these vunerable people. You could even blame the governments from where these people originate for allowing them to come in the first place, without proper guidance.

At the end of the day, they come from Countries where there is no minimum wage, where abject poverty is rife and there is no social security. Gulf Countries take advantage of that fact and , abhorrent as it is, neither you or I will ever change it. I wish I could change how the banks work here. I wish the driving was better. I wish it wasn't so hot in summer. I wish that when people say they'll call you back they do. I also wish that people realised some things are different here in Dubai to their own Countries and always will be.

If you never accept that one important fact, you'll never be happy here.

Harry