PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Air Ambulance pilot - am I dreaming?
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 19:55
pittsblerke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming an Air Ambulance pilot - am I dreaming?

Hello. I am seriously considering training to become a commercial helicopter pilot and would appreciate some straight, honest advice in response to a few questions:

1. At 37, am I too old to carve out a career as a commercial helicopter pilot?

2. Are there reasonable prospects for employment (either part or full time) if I was to commence and complete a course within the next 18 months?

3. The ultimate objective is to become an air ambulance pilot. Would I have cat in hell's chance of achieving this and what would I need to do?

4. Which is the best rotary wing training establishment?

I've got a fixed wing PPL(A) with 300 hours on some interesting aircraft such as the Pitts S2-B, Yak-52, Extra 300L as well as the usual club aircraft. I'm also extremely lucky to have a good business which is pretty much self sufficient and from which I can continue to draw an income. Therefore, funding whatever training I would need isn't too much of an issue and I could conceivably work for free if this would help get me the right experience towards becoming an air ambulance pilot. This would be the ultimate job for me (and I guess lots of others too!), flying and doing something worthwhile and exciting at the same time but I'm realistic enough to know I would be up against ex-military with lots of hours.

Any advice from people who know what they are talking about would be much appreciated.

Pittsblerke.