PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 18:39
pcat160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Bonuses

I am now a retired pax. During my working years bonuses were a significant portion of my compensation when working for others. Some were production based while some were based on my contributions as judged by others. No system was perfect, but all were motivating. For most employees nothing motivates like money and the more money the more motivation. MF has an acknowledged low base pay while providing for performance based bonuses. At this time a pattern of bonus payments has not been established so it is not possible to make judgments about MF’s total annual compensation. Contrary to the posts constantly repeated by some on these threads MF’s annual compensation may be significantly more than some would suggest. Since these bonuses will be discretionary and based on performance analysis MF salaries will vary and the variance will be based on performance. Those providing a consistent excellent service and creating an appropriate atmosphere with other crew members will be rewarded. Those that do not will not be rewarded. If this is not performance based management I am not sure what is.

There are additional ramifications of this salary system. Those that under perform and do not bring their performance up to par may not be terminated but will have a strong incentive, low pay, to leave. They will not be able to just get by and receive the same rewards as those that excel. MF cabin crew will look to their managers for evaluations that will increase their bonus. I dare say there will be no such nonsense as refusing to pass out hot towels with MF.

While a union may still play a roll in many areas the influence over employees will be significantly reduced. An employee will not be able to ignore their manager or the company believing they will not be penalized. While the company may not be able to terminate the employee or lower their base pay they can deny a bonus. I hope BA’s bonus program is generous so excellent performance will be well rewarded.