PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muddy runway
Thread: Muddy runway
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 03:14
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, could you give me some idea about how much the landing run will increase in this scenario vs. the normal landing run? I know that for the Queen, the normal landing run is 1,280 feet; but what's the multiplier for this scenario?
The landing distance will depend on the weight of the airplane and approach speed, as well as the braking available, but remember that if you're on a slick runway, braking will have little effect. I think twelve hundred feet is quite optimistic, but with a slick runway, double your landing distance at a minimum.

With gusty crosswinds, raising the flaps upon touchdown, or just prior to touchdown is a common back-country rough-field/short field technique, to put the weight on the wheels and reduce drift and lift. Depending on the runway, techniques such as landing diagonally across the runway to gain a very slight landing distance and reduce the crosswind component slightly are also sometimes used.

If the airplane is carrying ice as it approaches to land, it may need to be flown faster, which means a longer landing rollout.

If you're talking about a runway that's not super-slick, but also cold and relatively hard with some gravel on it, rather than mud, you have a landing surface and characteristics/performance closer to a gravel airstrip. Chances are that the operator will be using reduced tire pressure, may be utilizing the natural reduction in landing roll that comes with it. The big thing in the Queen Air will be to keep the nosegear from getting mired or dug-in, to keep from damaging the airplane.

Perhaps the protagonist can get the airplane stopped in a shorter distance, but if she's worth her weight in salt, she will let the airplane roll-out full length, keep it moving to keep from getting stuck, and let it slow enough that she has to add or carry differential power to taxi (after landing as straight as she can make it). Make sure she carries the differential to turn into the wind.

It's more of an advanced technique, but if the crosswind is going to cause her problems with staying on the runway (wet, muddy, slick), she can carry some differential power on the approach. This may cause some groans from the airline crowd that will be shocked at the idea, but assymetrical power (more thrust on one engine) also can be used to counter the drift with a crosswind, during an approach. I don't think it's taught much any more.