PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident autothrust system and autoland
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2011, 18:00
petermcleland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobo
Superb stuff, this really brings it all back Pete. Any particular reason for choosing Alaska?

On the first link the kick off drift series is showing the A/C well to the right of the C/L - or it appears to be in these pics.

I find this interesting as I have just been involved with building a 737 Sim (800NG layout in the scrap flight deck of this written off 3/400 freighter). One of the problems we had was correctly lining up the visual with FS2004 ILS. The A/C would be on the ILS, but about halfway between the C/L and left hand edge of the runway visually. We eventually had to use a fiddle factor to the co-ords of the threshold to offset the visual on each R/W we wanted to use.

Back to the Trident...

pedant mode on....

I note in the second link in this last post the pics show the thrust gauges set at 137,137,137. IIRCC the centre was 20 less ie 117 on a normal day. (I think the T1 was 10 less and the T2 15 (?))

...pedant mode off.
"A" the autoland was well off centre because of the strong crosswind component...FlightSim can not hold the centreline like the real aircraft did.

I had forgotten about that 20 less for the centre engine...You have to remember that I never flew the Trident as a First Officer, so certain things are a bit hazy. If I had remembered I would have told David Maltby about it and he would have programmed it in. Even so, he has programmed those thrust gauges to be set by just clicking on one of them (this makes all the calculations and then sets the three gauges)...Another piece of Maltby Magic like the Vital Data Card.

A long story about my choice of Alaska...Basically, I liked the wilderness of Alaska and I wanted to build myself an airport...I was flying a light aircraft (in the Sim) along the coast one day and moved just inside the shore and kept my eyes open for a suitable site I came to the end of the Russel Fjord and saw that bay, landed on the beach and said to myself "I will build my airport here!". That was a long time ago and I have been improving and adding things to it ever since!

Here it is working reasonably recently on a Friday (the President sometimes visits on the Thursday when all the F16s are having an R&R day ):-

YouTube - AIBlast1080.wmv

I too have been doing some recent simulation with the 737NG:-

The Final Leg... - iFly Development Team Forums

Cheers,

Peter.