PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 1st Jan 2011, 13:21
Beagle9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottergirl is right re the DOMs.

They are instructed by the company to stick to both Sceme and industrial.

Indeed, if they inadvertently break industrial, I believe, it's discussed at monthly steering meetings between mangers and union reps, so as to avoid a re-occurance. The company does try to stick to agreements, even though it might not like some of them.

In other words the DOMs are just doing their job, as asked by BA and doing it very well under a lot of pressure, most of the time.

However, I for one, would much rather move to a system similar to the one the pilots have, regarding being more flexible on industrial limits off-schedule.

It has been possible to do his in the past, however, by asking the DOMs to request dispensation from the unions to extend beyond industrial limits.
The unions will want to know if all crew are in agreement before agreeing, but I have used this in the past and we've been able to avoid a great deal of inconvenience for the pax AND the crew.

However, if the situation arose now, things would be extremely difficult.

Firstly, with the present mood, would all crew agree? Secondly, I'm not even sure whether that line of communication between the DOMs and the reps currently exists. (Anyone know?) Thirdly even if it does, would the unions agree?

Frankly, I dread the situation arising. I think the way I would deal with it is, if the unions are uncontactable, is to see if there are enough crew willing to go with it, to at least operate at legal min crew, and leave those that won't play ball behind.

Much though I disagree strongly with the current agreement on off-schedule working, I am loath to simple run rough-shod over it, otherwise, what point is there in having any agreements? It's the agreements that are at fault (And need to be changed, to more flexible ones), NOT the people applying them, neither the DOMs nor the poor SCCMs who have to handle a very difficult situation.

Anyone else (especially other SCCMs) got any thoughts on that?