PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 31st Dec 2010, 19:30
Right Engine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

OK a retraction is in order or at least a 'clarification'.

Whenever pilots (particularly Captains) are asked to work outside their agreements, on most occasions when considering the needs of their customers, crew and themselves, they usually choose the option to work outside their agreement to the mutual benefit of all parties. Our Union have no problem with this and unsurprisingly neither do our management. In fact they usually write us a letter thanking us for our 'flexibility'.

Cabin crew have this paradoxical situation that despite their wanting to work beyond their 'contractual obligation', for the reasons stated above, but their managers (DOM's) say that they can't. WTF? As far as the CAA are concerned, you stick within their legal limits and feel certain you have sufficient levels of alertness to carry out your role then all is legal.

Why can I, a Captain, work 2 hours longer than you because I'm working to discretional scheme limits but you, by order of your managers, can't because they apply your 'industrial agreement' as if it was inscribed in law. It isn't! It is guidance for you as an individual that shapes how your work is rostered. Once you are doing it for real, only scheme limits should apply in reality. That is how EVERY other airline works.

Put simply,

CAA (Scheme)= Legal obligation
Industrial = Guidance

Pilots can do it why not cabin crew? Do you want to be thought of as independent minded, customer focussed professionals or do you want to be managed over every facet of your role like children? If you prefer the first option then someone needs to educate your DOM's!

I do however apologize for belittling any aspect that the DOM's provide to support crew in other areas.