PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resources for low-time pilots not interested in airlines?
Old 31st Dec 2010, 17:09
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what I mean is you have 350 hours experience, and are listing things you will and won't do, and I don't think it's realistic for you to expect to find the "perfect" job with that little experience.

The problem is, I don't know where these jobs are typically listed. Any good resources? I'm willing to relocate (within reason) within the USA. An ideal situation would be periodic 2-week stints somewhaere (including overseas) doing flying-intensive work, then going home to my day job. I'm young, unattached, and bored to tears.
You're limiting your possible employers by saying you're only willing to relocate within reason, and that you want an employer to hire you for a few weeks then let you go back to your day job.

I don't know if you've ever worked outside of aviation, but think of it this way.

350 hours is about the equivalent of a High School diploma - anyone going into aviaion has to have about 250 hours in order to have a cpl, so 350 isn't much more than the absolute minimum.

3500 hours would be the equivalent of about a 4 year degree, that's 800 hours per year for 4 years, plus the 300 from "high school"

11,000 hours would be someone with ten years experience and a four year degree.

Now, if you were a company, looking to hire someone, do you want a high school graduate, someone with a bachelors' or someone with 10 years experience?

Granted, the company can't always get the 10,000 hour pilot, so it comes down to supply and demand, so there's obviously some in-between compromise based on the company, the requirements, and the pilot.

But you need to recognize that if you have a High School diploma, and no experience, you're probably going to get a minimum wage job flipping burgers at MacDonalds, and aren't going to be able to say, I will only work the fryer, let a lone, I will not work fast food.

You need to face reality, and be willing to work your backside off for a few years (3 to 5) doing whatever you can to build time, even if it's not what you really want to do in the long run.

Hopefully this makes sense to you, and you see what I mean by your expectations are not very reasonable