PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infinte Type Rated Pilots it seems!!
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2010, 13:31
bokboy22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darkroom, I think you are missing my point. I agree, people who put their families on aeroplanes want guys experienced, not just in aviation but life.

With my 2600, I said I am relatively experienced, I did not call myself Chuck Yeagar. Put me with a 4500 hour captain and there is 7000 hours up front.

I was emphasising the point, that after a city career in I.T. which admittedly I did not mention, I was willing to start again and learn and earn my stripes to be able to fly a 737.

I did do a 4 year degree, got that experience, then got to a high management position running teams and projects, then did start again in aviation learning the ropes, building my way up and appreciating what is required in the decision making process which unfortunately a 22 year old who pays for a type rating with RYR just could not comprehend because they have not done it.

Ask yourself this, what is the point of experience if we can all just buy our way into a right hand seat once we have a license and IR. As somebody who has a masters degree in computer science, believe me, I understand more than most how easy it is to plug some numbers into an FMS and 'Monitor'.

The question is, does one understand the process of making the decision that could save lives when technology, captain or both are not their to hold your hand. All I have been saying is that I have a great appreciation for having the chance to gain that experience to make decisions on my own and keep learning which is what is missing in aviation today.