PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 30th Dec 2010, 12:26
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A seasonal outbreak of cabin crew bashing & defending is once again upon us.
And once again, it ads nothing to the discussion but rather polarises people of good intent.
So once again, this silly willy waving needs to stop.

As per now, thank you.

flapsforty,

The following was written by fellow CC and fellow Moderator flyblue in May this year. I found it interesting and pertinent.

In the end, the difference is not between the "bad" CC or the "disinterested, driver" pilots. The difference comes from above. Whenever we see bad habits in the workforce, we see very bad management.
People are not born bad, they learn bad habits that bad managers allow to set in without taking action.

Without getting into the facts, it's not that one side is right and the other is wrong. In negotiations it is never this way. There are good negotiators and bad negotiators. I fail to see good negotiators on either side.
Having to resort to extreme measures is like the excuse of the husband who "had to" beat his wife because "that's the only way she would understand".
Extreme measures from either side mean years and years of bitterness to follow (and this goes for all parties), and consequently more problems for the future.

In this case there are no guys in white hats. The unions are surely pig-headed etc, but some of the measures deployed by management are frankly ethically disgusting (and would be illegal in many other countries). The price to pay will be high in the years to come. That's the whole point, the consequences.
Whoever has worked for an airline I'm sure understands what I mean.