PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK TO Alps Trip
Thread: UK TO Alps Trip
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2010, 11:37
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoaringHigh

I have flown over the Alps numerous times in unpressurised piston twins VFR and IFR.

The IFR trips have required higher levels and the use of oxygen the lower VFR trips were flown at 10-12000 feet.
Some were crossing into Italy some to Slovenia.

You are of course right with your warnings but the trip is perfectly doable in V light aircraft like the sportcruiser if you are very selective on weather and cloudbases especially as you mentioned winds!!!

I have been over the Alps in a variety of weather conditions but would be especially cautious of winds even higher IFR.

The worst turbulence I ever experienced was coming out of Nice IFR in a Citation with severe turbulence forecast between FL 200 and FL300.
The jet was empty with only myself and the co on board.

We had cupboards flung open 45 degree wing drops and the aircraft almost uncontrollable.

I requested an immediate climb to FL340 and sailed up at an incredible 3000 fpm climb all the way up through FL300. Normally in still air the citation climbs at around 1000fpm betwen FL200 and FL300 prob back to 600fpm at FL300.

So yes really do watch the winds the smaller and lighter the aircraft and if conditions are not right dont go

If they are right you will have the most amazing memorable trip especially low level flying over stunning scenery and glaciers not too far below.
Get the weather wrong and it will be a trip from hell.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 30th Dec 2010 at 12:21.