PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 30th Dec 2010, 08:16
GrahamO

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I comment infrequently but as this is bit closer to my business background I felt I could in this instance.

Litebulbs - the definition of what makes a great company is obviously open to interpretation however I would suggest that great companies have two traits - the ability to satisfy their customers with consistently high levels of service so that they keep coming back, and secondly, the satisfaction of the shareholders.

Staff satisfaction is only a subset of the former and is not a deciding factor in itself, as it is entirely possible to overpay staff so thay are delighted and the service is excellent, but for the company will go bust.

Perhaps your comment is illustrative of the general issue over the whole dispute and it's various facets - CC belief that their satisfaction in the round has to be achieved before any other factor such as profitability, survivals, customer feedback etc. Just an opinion of course. As a passenger, I am not overly concerned about staff satisfaction, as long as it does not affect me.

Lastly, the best example of the lower performance cull culture is in Cisco Systems who are one of the great IT companies to work for and one whom people clamour to work for ..... They remove their 10% bottom performing sales people each year, as sales people are paid to bring in orders, and if they do not, then their contract is clear about the consequences. Anyone in industry would rate Cisco at the top of the companies to work for, and they qualify as being great.