PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 29th Dec 2010, 20:50
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ancient Observer
If it was a doddle, it would be done. Having an absentee workforce makes it very difficult to quantify and measure performance targets unless you are going to allow the managers to fly around monitoring their crew. Something which is very expensive and which BA are not prepared to do.

Quite simply, performance targets/behaviours/survey feedback etc are set.
Which of course they already are! But someone has to assess whether they are met.

Of course, it should fall to the CSD and Pursers to measure the main crew but they can't be doing that if they are busy dolling out food in a different cabin. The feedback we get from our customers, while useful for measuring trends, is not objective and specific enough to manage individuals. The customers perception of the service they receive is often influenced by the whole travel experience so the crew feedback suffers as a result of an ATC delay for example.

As a CSD I get an annual appraisal (about every two years) but it is largely a ticky box exercise where I tell what brilliant things I've done and my manager records it for posterity. How would she know if its the truth? She wouldn't because she wasn't there! You can not manage people if you aren't in their workplace!

Can you think of another workgroup with similar circumstances? Not so easy and simples is it?

Last edited by ottergirl; 29th Dec 2010 at 21:01.