PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 29th Dec 2010, 20:49
notlangley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"would cost not a single penny to resolve"

It is possible that some of the issues being voted-on affect the finances of BASSA or the wellbeing of particular officials who run BASSA (I exclude Duncan Holley from this statement).

The revenue of BASSA must have decreased

1) About twelve months ago 1,003 CC took voluntary redundancy._ I would imagine that this terminated 1,003 membership fees._ The 1,003 CC were not replaced because the manning level of certain flights was reduced.

2) Presumably the recruitment of traditional cabin crew has ceased._ There will be natural wastage which will shrink the membership of BASSA._ The total cabin crew numbers are maintained by the recruitment of Mixed Crew._ Although the 1997 contract cabin crew were accepted into the Union fold, this-time-round Unite either didn’t understand or declined the opportunity to participate in a growth area - and so BASSA is missing out on new membership fees.

3) There is a large number of part-time heritage cabin crew - the Telegraph quoted the number as being 3,000 - unfortunately I don’t have a reliable figure._ The growth of Mixed Fleet will presumably ease the way for some of the part time heritage cabin crew to move to other jobs or in some cases retire._ So that is more membership fees lost.

4) Several cabin crew posters on pprune have said that there has been a trickle of membership resignations._ This will be quantified when the results of the present ballot are published._ Then the loss of these membership fees will be clear.

Last edited by notlangley; 30th Dec 2010 at 01:32. Reason: I most certainly was not thinking of Duncan Holley