PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 29th Dec 2010, 16:17
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BetterByBoat
Same old anti-BASSA rhetoric. BASSA have a mandate from BA cabin crew to cause this disruption. The hope is that sufficient BA cabin crew will wake up and realise that:
a) they don't run the company
b) the company can continue operations without them

There are undoubtedly many excellent BA cabin crew with what, in my opinion, are realistic and reasonable views on their role within the company. Litebulbs, Betty Girl are prime examples. But as of May 2010, they were not representative of BA cabin crew as a whole who, despite the "22 days of Xmas" and the March \ April volcano events still voted overwhelming for industrial action.

It is cabin crew that voted overwhelmingly for the initial strike and it is in cabin crews hands to vote "no" to further strike action. Blaming Bassa for everything is rather missing the point of who actually voted for industrial action in the first place.
I apologise for my anti-BASSA rhetoric: you are, of course, correct.

Whilst BASSA was conducting its vituperative campaigns against WW, BA and passengers, and was being taken to the High Court over its conduct, it was indeed some CC who voted for IA. We could get into an enormous numbers game here about who is in BASSA, CC87, Amicus or non-union ... but I think that's nugatory. The union [BASSA] that called for the strike achieved a majority of its members, whilst disenfranchising other employees.

Whether those CC voted "Yes" from conviction, ignorance of the facts, or simply because "BASSA said so" will remain one of the untold mysteries of this entire debacle.