PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight plans and class D airspace
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2002, 06:30
Whipping Boy's SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WH, the reason being that it would appear you presumed you would get a clearance. If the controller was working really hard, he may not have had time to tell you to stay outside of CAS. Even if he had all your details, once you entered CAS without a clearance, he must treat you as either unknown, lost or at very least, he had to turn his attention towards you. To clarify my position, if I had been the controller involved I would have welcomed a phone call to discuss the issue. However, if you dogmatically maintained the argument that you knew what was happening so it was OK to enter, I would have had no other option. You also say that,

I was well above any traffic conflict
How exactly did you know this? It seems that you felt you were totally aware of the traffic situation inside the CTR.

Finally, only just inside is no defence. Once you cross the line you are in trouble. I once had cause to discuss this with a flying school that used to send off PPL navexes with the first turning point "only 1km" inside Class A CAS. As an aside, I have personally seen GPS readouts (admittedly overseas) with a 4km error.

Again, I apologise for being somewhat in your face but I think that it is important to understand the problems assoscaited with operating close to CAS. It is my opinion that a key aspect of airmanship is understanding the needs and requirements of other airspace users. This can only be achieved by ensuring continued learning by all parties. Finally, many ATC units now use occurrence reports to highlight deficiencies in the system. It is a rare occassion that they do this for purely punative reasons.