PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 26th Dec 2010, 07:40
Jabiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly as a HR function, yes. The published minimums are really quite meaningless, however, as it's the competitive minimums that rule the day.
A company that advertises a published minimum of 1,500 hours, but which is hiring pilots with ample international heavy experinece and 15,000 hours for example, hires at the competitive minimum established by those applicants competing for the job.
And this is where your argument falls apart.
Airlines are in an extremely competitive environment with massive oversupply of pilots. A lot of airlines are losing money and struggling to survive, while most others are on razor thin margins.
The beancounters have figured out that by cutting crew T & C’s by 10% they can increase profits by 50% or more.
As this also results in bonuses for managers, and as this is one of the few controllable expenses then it is the trough to which they will continue to go to.
These experience pilots are going to be forced to work on ever decreasing salaries and if they refuse then there is someone less experienced willing to take their place.
From another thread on these forums:
i have the same problem as cuvcap but on A320.
Ttl hours 8.000, valid CPT ratings on A 320 but no flight on aircraft since february.
Does anybody have an idea where i may have the possibility to get flights, i would go for three month without any salary to compensate costs for the company.
http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/435040-recency-type.html

And the tail spin to the bottom is what this thread is all about.