PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever dread lessons?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2002, 22:16
Flock1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, many, many thanks to all of you out there who have taken the time to reply. I have read and re-read everything that has been written and I am so pleased that I decided to gain your opinions, rather than just jackiing it all in (even though it was thaaaat close.)

Anyway, what I did was this......

I rang them up and told them that I was not happy about flying with this certain instructor. Obviously, the bloke on the other end of the phone asked me why. I told him the truth, and that it was basically a confidence issue. I did not feel relaxed with instructor X, and so I was told that swapping instructors would be no problem at all.

He told me to ignore what had been said by instructor X, and told me that other instructors who I'd flown with had said that i was a very capable student.

He also added that my original instructor was due back from his hols tomorrow, and that I would be booked in with him from then on. He also told me that I would never have to fly with instructor X again. (Incidentally, he did add that people in the past had complained about my original instructor, and so had swapped to instructor X with no problems. So obviously, personality is an issue with regard to student/instructor relationships.)

Anyway, I had eased my problem, but I still had to face instructor X whenever I turned up for a lesson. As it happened, I had a lesson today, thankfully, not with instructor X, but with the instructor who taught me during the solo circuit bashing portion of the course, and so I went for my lesson.

Instructor X's car was parked outside, and so I steelded myself for a nasty confrontation. But this never happened. Instructor X had obviously decided to just ignore me, and this was fine by me. (Yes, we are both children!)

I went up with the other instructor, who knew exactly what had been going on, and he told me that that instructor X was a good instructor, who had helped lots of people through their PPL's and higher ratings, but he agreed that he had an abrupt and rather fearsome manner. He told me that instructor X spoke before thinking, but that he usually didn't mean anything by it. He also added that on today's lesson, we would have a chilled out session, so that I could regain some of my confidence and enthusiasm for flying.

I did enjoy the lesson, (on basic navigation and map reading), and am happy to say that I will be continung with the PPL. I just hope that other student's, who are possibly in the position that I've been in, will read this thread and take note of all the advise that's been given. As a student, you should not have to put up with being made to feel a failure. You should not be going home after your lesson feeling like youv'e just been put through a mangle. Flying should be fun, it should be enjoyable, and hopefully, I will start feeling this again very soon.