PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone actually like Emirates? (Hamster Wheel Thread)
Old 25th Dec 2010, 08:48
poina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sig,

I got no dog in this fight as I was with Saudia for 19 years, but here's my ex-pat perspective.
The only way it's worth working outside the US is MONEY. Can you put 60k in the bank after expenses and toys? I'm sure this is possible, but only as a Captain. So if u r being offered a job (as I suspect u r) as FO, how many qualified, proven, pilots are above you in the line for the left seat?
How much older will you be in the 5-10 years you remain in the lineup? Can you contribute to a company retirement plan? Will you be protected by a union agreement for salary and job security? Will you have to work like a dog (no offense meant) as the Emirates guys are now and seems obvious will continue?

My advice is to remove the rose colored glasses and work in the same country as your passport and be in a position to take advantage of the retirement numbers at all the major US airlines. Sure, the bene's are not what they once were but Emirates ain't Delta, UA, AA, SWA, etc.