PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight plans and class D airspace
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2002, 20:34
Whipping Boy's SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheFox beat me to it. Be careful when saying that Class C is the US equivalent of UK Class D. There are huge differences as far as IFR aircraft are concerned. As a controller (and pilot) who has operated in all UK classes of airspace I can honestly say i have some concerns. There are a number of problems as I see it.

Firstly, yes, UK ATC may not have the capacity that the US system has. This is a sorry state of affairs but, in the present climate, there is little we can do about it.

How often do we find ourselves scrabbling around in 5kms (ish) visibility in the UK? Doesn't necessarily happen in the US.

When was the last time a light GA ac had a collision with an airliner inside CAS in the UK? Remember the PSA 727 in US.

My point is that, whilst it is feasable to fly VFR in Class C & D (and SVFR in Class A CTRs), I would speculate that controllers, generally, do not refuse permission when they cannot be bothered. Believe me, it is far easier to get a VFR transit through a CTR than to spend half you life avoiding a 7000 sqk that is flying just along the edge/over the top of your CTR. Give the guy a chance. If you genuinely feel that you are getting a raw deal, write to the Directorate of Airspace Policy, Kingsway House, London. They are CAA and responsible for ensuring that the ATC service providers (mostly NATS) provide the services that they are contracted to. I have done this in the past about adjacent units and it certainly makes a difference.

Apologies if I sound a bit forthright, however, as someone who sees the arguments from both sides, I feel that its worth putting my twopenneth worth in.

PS. Workinghard, I would have filed a violation against you if you had used the argument:

as they had my details and I was well above any traffic conflict and I was heading 180 through their overhead I feel it was a little zealous to say the least